About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Rough Cuts

I love to watch the grooming competitions at Hershey every year.
I watch a lot of the groomers use clip combs to take off the excess hair before they start to scissor.
Some go over and over and over the dog till they can't get anymore hair off.
If you watch closely they are changing comb sizes depending on where they are clipping.
One length for the rear, one for the chest, one for the sides.
Then they start to scissor.



That just seems like too much extra work to me.

I don't spend a lot of time with the clippers.
I just get the excess hair off and then start scissoring.

I love to scissor.






Sometimes I don't even use the clipper first.
I just scissor the entire dog from start to finish.



 Of course, I am not doing a true Bichon cut.
I am doing the pet cut.

My rough-ins look pretty messy.
If I were another groomer watching me, I would probably think, 'how is she going to fix that mess?'






 

My daughter most likely thinks that, because her clipper work is always very neat.
She always gets as much as she can off with the clipper, which leaves her less to scissor.
She has excellent scissor skills.



I guess I just like to scissor.
My rough-ins have always been messy and will most likely always be messy.

I love the transformation that I can do with the scissors.

I am left handed, but grooming school did not have any left handed shears, so to keep up with everyone else, I started scissoring with my right hand.




I have always wondered what my scissor work would look like if I scissored with my left hand.

I bought left handed scissors after I had been grooming for a few years and tried to teach myself to scissor with my left hand.

I couldn't do it.
I felt like I was back in grooming school all over again.
I gave up.

I still envision myself sometimes standing at my table with scissors in both hands scissoring away on two legs at one time. :)

Happy Grooming, MFF

4 comments:

  1. hi hanna, i've been grooming for a few years but have never hand-scissored an entire dog. do you have recommendations on how to get good at this (videos, advanced education, etc)? thanks for any feedback you may have. are you on facebook also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi nycgroomer,
    My advice, practice, practice, practice. :) If you are not super busy right now, because of the winter months. Take a dog that is in for a short cut. Before you clip it, bathe it, blow dry it, and scissor away on it. This way you don't have to worry about messing up. Your going to be clipping the dog short anyway. Do this as often as you can. The more you practice you get, the better you get. It does take time. I like watching people scissor in videos, but that can be a little discouraging when you are learning. It can make you feel like you will never get that fast, but they can be fun to watch.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Furry-Friends-Grooming-Self-Serve-Pet-Wash/241000615021
    Thanks for reading my blog!
    Lisa,MFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that when I am not busy, and the other groomers I worked with thought I was crazy!! I just love what we do :) plus they would always tell people 4-5 hours for a groom. They also thought I was spoiled and crazy because I would go to grooming conventions clear across the country every year! But its so much fun! Chrismas for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica,
      I truly think that those grooming conventions have kept me going over the years. I agree with you....it is like Christmas. :)
      Lia,MFF

      Delete