About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hand Scissor on a Spaniel Mix

Boy, has it been one long week.
I have been banned by my kids from saying 'Tomorrow will be a better day.'
They said it was not working.

Saturday started with an Emergency phone call at 5:45 in the morning from my Dad, and a trip to the E.R.
Everything turned out fine, but I was late for work, and didn't start my dogs till almost 10am.
I usually have one or two dog already finished by 10.
Then the Self-Serve got busy, and walk-in nail jobs would not stop coming in the door.
Really not complaining, it is just amazing that when you are already running late, that that is when the shop becomes extra busy.

Murphy's Law.

I did not get my first, 8:00 dog done till 12:30.
I had to keep stopping to do nails.
That drives me crazy.
My dogs know my routine so well that when I stop they think they are done. 

12:30
That was the last time that I looked at the clock.
All you could do was dive in and get everyone done as soon as you could.
If I watched the clock it would drive me crazy.
I do have good customers, and they were all understanding about me getting started late.

One of my dogs today was 'Princess'.



She is a very sweet dog.
I have been grooming her since she was a puppy.
Boy, can she blow her coat, and today she was full of dead coat.

 Her owners like her 'short but not shaved.'
I think that is the most used phrase in the pet grooming industry next to 'he's not matted.' ;)




This is 'Princess' after her bath and combout.

The hair under her is what came out of her coat on just this side.

She was bathed with Best Shot Shampoo and Best Shot Creme Rinse.






My idea of 'short but not shaved' on these type of dogs is to hand scissor all of the feathering and flyaway hair up nice and tight to the part of the coat that is already short.

This is a picture of one side of 'Princess's' rear after I scissored it.












This is a picture of 'Princess's' chest.
One side has been scissored.

I was not able to get pictures of 'Princess' while I scissored, because everyone was too busy.



'Princess' Before


 'Princess' After

I like to make these cuts look as natural as possible.
I don't want the coat to look like it has been cut into.

We got through the day.

We got through the week.

I'll leave it at that.

Happy Grooming, MFF

3 comments:

  1. Do you have an idea what kind of breed(s) Princess is? I have a an elderly rescue that looks just like her, my heart dog <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I left a comment on this asking the breed but I didn't read the title of the post because I was just going down the line lol. Sorry :/ Although I will say, even though this dog looks a lot my my something-mix, I am not sure mine is spaniel anything. She is about 60 lbs and I have been told she is mixed with so many different breeds including German Shepherd, Border Collie, Belgian, Flat-coated retriever, Saluki, Lab, etc by various professionals (groomers and vets)...I don't even know anymore XD. When I think of spaniels I think Cocker, Clumber, Springer, Cavalier KC, etc. Are there spaniels that are mostly black with smaller ears and double coats? Or is that possibly from the mix part? I've heard of the DNA testing but honestly I don't know if I will have the money for that any time soon and I'm afraid that she will cross the rainbow bridge before I get a chance to do that. I am obviously also very paranoid lol. She is 14 but in great health for her age :) Also, I have been wondering something...is it annoying or inconvenient for you when people comment on old posts? I've been reading your blog for almost 2 months now and I love it so much. I try to read and/or re-read at least a little everyday. I could comment on almost every post you've done (they are just that good) but I try not to unless it's a new one or something is really nagging me like this or the clipping in reverse that I commented on before. Just wanted you to know you help me literally everyday with your blog, whether it's a new tip or simply inspiration. I can't fully express how happy I am to have found it! Thank you for everything you do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kasi,

      Comment away, I don't mind. Just forgive me if I take a little while to get back to you. :)

      The dog in the post is possibly a Lab/Newfie cross. Shop around for DNA tests. I have had a couple of my customers find Vets that offer it for as little as $30.

      I am very glad that my blog is helping you. :)

      Lisa, MFF

      Delete