About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Monday, April 4, 2011

A Scottie Makeover

This young lady came in last week.

Can we say overgrown and shaggy.

She turned out to be one of the sweetest Scotties I have ever groomed.

She is only two years old.

How many times do you think she has been groomed in two years?




When I first saw her, I will admit that I thought; 'oh great, another overgrown, wild and crazy Scottie.'


The dog owner's Mother brought the dog in.
She had been dog-sitting, and wanted to get the dog groomed before her daughter came home.

Because the dog was so overgrown, I made double sure that the Scottie cut is what she was sure her daughter wanted.

Why is it that the Scotties and Westies that come in and want a Style clip never have hair where they are supposed to?

What am I talking about?









All of their long thick hair is on their back!

The part you are going to cut short.

I get so many Scotties and Westies in that have no hair on their legs and skirt.





I will admit that when I was clipping her head, I suddenly had this horrific thought that the Mother got it wrong and the owner really wanted a full head.





I actually stopped clipping her head.

I froze and looked at her.
Boy, she had a lot of hair on her head.

Was that because her owner liked it that way, or was it because they did not get her groomed very often?

She was very good for the groom.

No, the mother definitely said her daughter wanted the dog to look like the breed was supposed to.



And, isn't 90% of the Scottie look in the way the face is groomed?





Well, it was too late to think about it now, I had already clipped half of the head.

What a pretty face she has.

It was hidden behind all of that hair.


As for the rest of her body...I was not happy with the end result.

No matter how much I used the thinning shears to blend her furnishings and back, it looked awful.

I hate to see a line.

I was not to trim anything on the legs and skirt other then rounding the feet.


I had to stop myself from gluing some of her back hair onto her back legs.

Have you ever felt like doing that?

Hmmm, maybe I could use all of that clipped hair, all over my floor, to make doggy hair pieces.

Maybe not. :/

Did they like it?

I don't know, the Father picked up the dog.

As of Saturday nobody called to say they didn't like it.  :-)

Happy Grooming, MFF

5 comments:

  1. And sometimes, that's the best you can hope for! That is a beautiful face yep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a tremendous job. If there's no skirt, there's no skirt. But what an adorable face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I think her sweetness shows on her face and makes her look pretty.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would love to see more of a detailed blog off you for a scottie head , i think you did a wonderful job:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      I would like to do that for you, but at this time I only have one Scottie that we groom regularly, and her owner likes her face cut very, very short. Not a good example of a Scottie head at all.
      Unfortunately, the Scottie in the above pictures has not been back.I think that we schedule too far out for them. :(
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete