About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Another Grooming Your Furry Friend Post

I posted another post on 'Grooming Your Furry Friend'.

I really struggled with this one.
First, it took me forever to go through all of my pictures.
Then I kept rewriting parts of the post.

One of the things that irritates me the most with grooming, is when a customer asks me to clip their Poodle so it doesn't look like a Poodle, or they bring me another breed, such as a Schnauzer, and they say to me: "Don't make him look like a Poodle!"

How in the world could I possibly make a Schnauzer or a Shih-tzu look like a Poodle?

Anyway, I struggled to not make little smart comments.
I struggled to not let my irritation with this particular subject show through in the post.
I hope that the post will educate Poodle owners and Poodle mix owners on the type of clips that are available for Poodles.
And, maybe help explain why their Poodles are still going to look like a Poodle no matter what clip they get on them because it is a Poodle.

One day I am not going to be able to stop myself.
One day someone is going to say "don't make him look like a Poodle," and I am going to cock my head to the side and look at them like they are nuts, and ask them...."Then why did you get a Poodle!!!!!!"

So, to my fellow groomers...check it out and see if I managed to help educate pet Poodle owners. :)

Here is the link:

Grooming Your Furry Friend

I felt like I was writing in circles.
I felt like I could not get the post to flow the way I wanted.
I want to keep it simple for pet owners to understand, but I also don't want to sound like I am talking down to them.

Ugh!  :/

Happy Grooming, MFF

5 comments:

  1. I think it was great!!! Wish some of my customers used internet and knew english :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only thing that had me confused was that what you refer to as the retriever clip is what I was told was the Town and Country http://www.groomers.net/discus/messages/126/342199.html?1263590980 and the one you have listed as a Town and Country I was told was the Miami or clown cut and the retriever clip is a shorter version of the lamb clip usually without much definition between the lenght of the legs and the body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Anonymous,
    THAT is why I make sure that the customer and I are talking about the same clip. For years I have heard these clip referred to by different names. The names that I use for these clips were the names I was taught in Grooming School. :)
    Lisa, MFF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use http://www.amazon.ca/Poodle-Clipping-Grooming-International-Reference/dp/0876052650 this book for the names of clips and have it on hand for the clients to flip through

    ReplyDelete