About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

An Invitation

I started this blog as kind of a diary of my grooming day, to share my grooms, and maybe help other groomers.
After almost 3 years......Oh my gosh!
Has it really been almost three years since I started this blog?

Boy, I do talk too much, don't I? :)

Anyway, I have realized that a lot of my grooming stories are vents about my day, or a customer, or a dog.
It obviously does not hurt to have a place to vent.
Everyone needs some way to vent when things go wrong, or don't go the way you think they should, or just plain irritate you.
The one thing that I have noticed though, is that I tend to dwell on the bad things that happen during my grooming days.
I can have a great day of grooming, with a lot of a great customers, and good furry customers, but the thing that ends up sticking with me at the end of the day is the one and only thing that went wrong that day.
No matter how small of a thing that it was.
An inconsiderate customer.
A biting dog.
A late, or no show customer.
A customer that rushes you.
The list can go on and on.

I think that most of us groomers do this.
We tend to dwell on the bad, and irritating things and forget about all of the good that happened during the day.
It brings us down.
It burns us out.
We feel like what we do is not appreciated.
We feel like people don't take us, as groomers seriously.
We feel like people don't understand just how important what we do is.

But, that is not really true.
Is it?

Think about it.

We all have customers that complement our grooms.
We all have customers that thank us and love how we made their dog(s) look.
We have many customers that show up on time, call when we tell them to, and give us plenty of warning if they have to cancel an appointment.
We have customers that show their appreciation by tipping us, or giving us a present at Christmas.
We even have furry customers that truly love coming in for their grooms.

Unfortunately, these things are not what sticks in our heads.
It's sad.
I am guilty of it.
I hate that I am guilty of it.
I wish that I could let the bad and irritating things that happen during the day just run off of my back.
I wish that I could just dwell on all of the good things that went on during my grooming day.

Well, I am trying to do that.
I decided to try something to help me.
I am inviting all of the groomers who read my blog to try it with me.

What am I trying?

I am glad you asked. :)

I have started a Group on Facebook.
It is a page of nothing but HAPPY grooming stories.
I just started it last week.
I try to go to this page everyday and write at least one good thing that happened during my grooming day.

I have to admit that I was surprised how hard it was to write the first story.
Well, not really hard to write.
What was hard is that I actually had to sit there awhile, in front of my computer, and think about my day.
I was amazed that even though I was getting ready to write a happy story, the first things that popped into my head were the irritating things that happened during the day.
I actually had to retrain my brain to think about the good things.

So, for over a week now, I have been going into work paying attention to all the good things that happen during the day.
Then I come home at night, go to my Pet Grooming Happy Stories group page and write about one of those good things.

I have made this group a closed group so that you have to request to join.
If you want to read the stories, or add a happy grooming story you will need to join the group.
I did this because I wanted the page to be for groomers, and for pet owners who like to groom their own dogs.
I want the page to be for groomers to go to read happy grooming stories that make them feel good about what they do.
To remind pet groomers why they became a groomer in the first place.
A place to go if you had a bad grooming day.

So, I am inviting you, my blog readers, to join.
Join and read the stories.
Add a Happy Story.
Comment on a Happy Story.
All I ask is that it is kept a Happy page. :)

Go to Facebook and search Pet Grooming Happy Stories and I will happily accept your request to join.

I hope to see you there. :)

Happy Grooming, MFF

9 comments:

  1. For whatever reasons I can't find the group. :\ Could you post the link?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to join, but for the life of me I can't find it. :-( Could you put a link here, or like it from your other page?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this idea. I agree with you that we all need to vent sometimes, but grooming is fun! I work with several girls who do nothing but complain or harp on the problems and I am trying to not be sucked into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana,
      It is so hard to work with people that complain all of the time. I am sorry that you have to work with that. It is so easy to get caught up in complaining. I found myself doing the same thing, that is how I thought of the happy story page. I wanted to hear other groomers talk about the good things that happen to them while grooming. Everyday I am looking for something happy to post. It does help. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  4. I actually appreciate your not so happy stories. I will be attending a grooming school next month, and that would not have happened if it wouldn't have been for your blog. Its nice to see the negative side of things to know the bad parts of the job and not just the good. I think it will be worth all of the bad stories to also be able to experience the positive ones. Thanks so much for making this blog. I've finally realized at the age of 20 what I want to do with my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katelyn,
      Congratulations on going to Grooming School! Thank you for your comment. I am glad that my bad stories didn't stop you from deciding on a career in grooming. You are right. You should know that good and the bad things, it really helps to prepare you. I am glad that I could help. :)
      Oh, one more thing to be prepared for before you start classes. Not all groomers groom the same way. There may be some things that I show on my blog that whoever runs the grooming school may not agree with, or may not do things the exact same way that I do. (there are a lot of things that I do differently than the way I was taught) Do what you need to to get through school, but always remember that there are different ways to do things. Every dog can not be treated the same way. AND, if a certain way that they are teaching you is not working for you, don't be afraid to try a different way.
      Once again, congratulations and have a great time learning to groom!
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much.:) The teacher that I watched the other day already told me that she does things differently than the way one of the other teacher does. She said that they should show me different ways to do different things and I could choose what works best for me. :) I really have a good feeling about the teachers, and am very curious about all of the different grooming methods. I'm just ready to get started! Thanks again for taking the time to write this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelyn,
      Sounds like you have good teachers and they will give you a wide range of schooling. Have fun!
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete