About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Monday, September 23, 2013

I Must Brag, Brag, Brag!!!!

We just got back from Groom Expo in Hershey PA.
We had a really great time.

My daughter competed in the Rescue Round-up yesterday morning.
We were up at 5:30am.
We needed to check out of the Hotel and be checked into the Rescue Round-up contest by 7am.

Jessica and I were supposed to compete together in the Round-up, but because of a mix up only Jessica was registered.
She was a little nervous, mainly because there was no way of knowing what kind of dog she would be grooming.

The rescue dogs were from 7 or 8 different rescue groups.
Each groomer would draw a number and go over to the dog assigned that number.

My daughter drew number 10.






She drew a very sweet Pekinese named 'Bella'. 






She was full of dead coat and had mats behind her ears, some in her rear feathering, and underarms.












At 8am the grooming began.







Jess was in the fourth group to go down to the tubs, so she dematted, combed, clipped the belly, trimmed the feet, and cleaned the ears while waiting for her turn in the tub.





 After the bath, she used scissors and thinning shears to shape up, shorten, and thin out areas.

She wanted her to look as natural as possible.








She skimmed the inside of the legs to help blend areas where mats had been removed.








She blended and rounded off the sides to help the hair lay straight and smooth.








She used thinning shears to blend and shape up the chest and front legs.







She used a combination of thinning shears and scissors to rounds and shape the rear feathering.







'Bella' was a very sweet Peke, but Jess had to use a grooming loop, because the Peke would suddenly try to jump off of the table every time she spotted her foster Mom in the audience.




  Time for scissors down!

The groomers had 2 1/2 hours to bathe, dry and groom their dogs.

Jessica is normally a very fast groomer.

With this groom she was able to really take her time. 

I have never seen her groom so slowly. lol









Time....








.....for.....








....the judging.









The judges went down the row of dogs to check over each groom.










Then it was time to relax and wait for the results.








And wait.......









And take a nap. :)







Time for the award ceremony.

They announced the third place winner first.







 Yoshiko Winner took third with a Cairn Terrier.










Linda Jomphe took second place.









First and second place were now gone.
I didn't know what to think.
Of course I had faith in my daughters grooming, but there were a lot of dogs on stage, and I have seen a lot of competitions where you just can't predict who the Judges are going to pick for first place.

Then the Judges started walking towards the end of the stage where Jess was.
I heard the Judge say; "...and our first place winner of Rescue Round-up is.....Jessica Kloid!






I didn't get a picture of the exact moment that they called Jessica's name, because I was to busy celebrating and jumping up and down in my seat.









I did get pictures of them handing her her trophy.








And congratulating her for her win.









Jess thanked 'Bella' too.





I just can't possible express in words how proud I am of my daughter.

Jess has been around grooming her whole life.

She started brushing our dogs as soon as she could hold a brush.

She has been Professionally Grooming since she was eleven, and a customer told her that she could groom her dog.

I am so happy for her!!




I will be posting more about the Rescue Round-up this week.
I have before and after pictures of all of the dogs.

I will also be posting before and afters for the creative competition later. :)

Happy Grooming, MFF

14 comments:

  1. WOW! Congratulations! Jessica did a great job and the award was well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I still can't believe it. ~Jess

      Delete
  2. So very impressed! Bella looks beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana and Holly. Bella was such a sweetheart :) ~Jess

      Delete
  3. That's great! Congratulations!
    -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congratulations for both of you! Greetings, Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia! I have a wonderful role model! ~Jess

      Delete
  5. Yay!!!! I'm so happy for you and Jess. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the after pictures of that Pekingese, she looked amazing and absolutely flawless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you soooo much!! She was a pretty peke. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  6. Yay! It was so suspenseful reading that blog, I had to fight to scroll down to lol. My favorite pic was the one where Jess thanked Bella *tear*. You have obviously taught her very well and you have every right to be proud! Shoot, I was proud! Grats Jessica! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww <3. Thank you. When they called my name, all I remember was mouth dropping open in surprise lol. Bella was so sweet. I was so happy she was adopted. My mom is and always will be a wonderful mentor. :) ~Jess

      Delete
  7. I've been reading your Moms blog for about 2 years now and I love it and the stories of her amazing daughter that's such a good groomer! I do believe you made your Mother VERY proud ! You are a great groomer just like your mom says. Congrats on a win well deserved! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I honestly got tears in my eyes when I looked down and saw my mom and brother so happy. My Dad was watching online and said he was shouting and so excited! I'm so glad you enjoy my mom's blog. Thanks again. :) ~Jess

      Delete