About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The Attack!



Take a good look at this face!


Did you take a good look?

You can't imagine that this face could attack you, can you?

That sweet, sweet face...




He attacks me if I look at him!
He attacks me if I pet him! 
Oh boy, does he attack me when I dare to talk to him!!

It takes a few minutes after each attack to calm him down to continue the groom.
I have been grooming him since he was a puppy.
Every groom is the same.

Attack, attack, attack.

I have even told his owner about his attacks.
He just can't help it.

I have learned to be careful with how much I make eye contact while grooming.
I am careful not to pet him too much during the groom.
Most of all, I try to keep my mouth closed and not talk to him during the groom.

Or I would never get him finished.

Sometimes I just can't help it.
Sometimes I want him to attack.

Yes,  you read that right...I want him to attack.

He is the best and happiest attack dog I have ever groomed.
Just make eye contact, or pet him and he will attack you with the best kisses

Oh, and when you talk to him, or praise him he just goes crazy with a full body wiggle and an attack to the face with a million kisses!!



 This little guy....

I love this little guy!
He is one of my favorites to groom.
I would take him home in a flash.
Always happy, always good, always sweet.

And best of all....

He ALWAYS attacks!!!  :-)



No matter what kind of day I am having, this guy
is the best medicine to make me feel happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a side note:
For anyone still reading my blog, I would like to apologize for disappearing and not writing for a while.
It has been a long hard two years personally.
The loss of two parents and a very dear Father-in-law, with-in one year, seemed to have effected me more than I would like to admit.
Followed up with my son leaving to join the Marines was also a major adjustment for me.
There were many times, while at work, I would think 'this would make a good grooming post', only to get home and just not have it in me to write.

I also experienced a possible career ending injury this summer.
Thanks to the Doctor and a well placed Cortisone shot I am back to scissoring again.
My daughter Jessica was a life saver this summer when I suddenly found that I could not even hold a pair of scissors much less scissor a dog.

What to do?
We were fully booked for the summer.
There were no open appointments to move anyone to.
We did not want to cancel any of my long time regular customers.
And, I had to wait weeks for an appointment with the Doctor.

So, what did we do?
I should say, what did Jessica do? 
She stepped up!
I became a bather.
My son and I did all of the bathing and drying.
I roughed in what I could with the clippers, (I got very good at 'finish' skimming) and Jess did all of the scissor finish work.
She was grooming 14 to 16 dogs a day.
For over 8 weeks!
And, we managed to get done on time everyday. 

We are now back to each grooming our own clients.
I am so grateful to be scissoring again with no pain.
I could not even imagine having to give up grooming. 

My daughter has been after me to continue my blog, because she knew how much I enjoyed writing it.
I am going to make an attempt to continue it, so bare with me please.

Oh, and thanks to anyone who still checks in to see if I have posted anything new.  :-) 





17 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you've been having a difficult time lately. I check your blog often and I'm so glad that you are writing again! I'm a new groomer and I often search through your blog for help or inspiration. Thank you for all your posts! :)

    -Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm still here. I hope things look up for you. We'll be here when you're ready. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your losses, a very difficult year indeed.
    Glad to hear you were able to get back to grooming, a great fear of mine to have an injury bad enough that I couldn't groom. I have no back up so it would be devastating to my business. Kudos to your daughter for stepping up, and much love to your son for serving our country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know I'm always checking back on the blog and love your articles, I'm really sorry about the year you've been having but it'll all get better with time, hope you are doing better little by little everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this blog! And thank you for getting better so you can continue to do what you're meant to do! Your blog has been such a wonderful source of insight and motivation and when I stumbled upon it about 2 years ago i feel like it gave me a renewed interest in my work. I was pregnant and in a definite grooming slump (all kinds of body pain made me dread work) but reading your words, seeing the Hershey pictures, relating so much to another groomers professional approach, really made me see a bigger picture. I stepped up my groom game and have been pursing learning more about our craft at every opportunity. Hoping to attend my first Hershey this year but if not definitely next. Again, many thanks for sharing your life, loves, and struggles with us. And lots of kudos to your daughter as well!
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Rachael! I am glad that my blog helped. I hope you get to Hershey, you will love it!

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time lately. It's horrible when you think you will just cope with that loss/illness, and then you get another and another. It definitely wears you down. But after such a sad couple of years you must be overdue for many good things to come your way. I am glad you are back. I am a very new groomer feeling overwhelmed with too little knowledge and experience and have read and read all your posts. I love to see different ways of doing things to the one way you get taught as one thing does not work for every person or every dog. The more options we have the better. Your posts are kind and humorous and helpful. Not everyone would give so generously of their knowledge and experience. You really make a difference and it is really appreciated.
    Take care
    Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very happy your blog is back, and condolences on the loss of your family members. Glad you are on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear of your rough year. Sounds like you have an amazing family. So glad I found this blog. So much to learn. I'm glad to hear you enjoy writing your blog because I really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to hear you're back! Mostly I want you to know you've been in my thoughts even though we've never met. 😊 I really turn to your blog for everything and I figure you were busy with life! I wish you the best and am truly sorry to hear about your personal losses. Please know there are many of us you've never met who look forward to hearing more rants, good days, bad days and boring days.... You keep me going as a groomer as much as the clients I've come to love. Take care of yourself! We miss you!
    Adrienne in Colorado 😘

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad to hear you're back! Mostly I want you to know you've been in my thoughts even though we've never met. 😊 I really turn to your blog for everything and I figure you were busy with life! I wish you the best and am truly sorry to hear about your personal losses. Please know there are many of us you've never met who look forward to hearing more rants, good days, bad days and boring days.... You keep me going as a groomer as much as the clients I've come to love. Take care of yourself! We miss you!
    Adrienne in Colorado 😘

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently came across your blog and love it! I am sorry for the loss of your loved ones, I personally know how it must feel. I lost my mom as well, she taught me how to groom and I can only imagine that we would be like you and your daughter grooming together. I really appreciate this blog a lot, I have learned some new things from you, like poodles, and bathing first I really see the difference and so do my dogs owners! My mom was taught with less advanced ways and techniques. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still reading a year later. In fact, going back and reading old ones I hadn't read yet!

    ReplyDelete